My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://conservamome.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, March 10, 2012

An Afternoon with Senator Santorum -our Civics outing

Civics is something very important to me and my husband. The way our country works, our branches of government, elections etc.. all that stuff holds a very important place in our home. So being the ever teacher when I found out Senator Santorum would be an hour away I decided to make the trek with the 3 kids in order to give them their first glimpse into the world of  politics :)

I have to say I had second thoughts, considering I knew I would be making this trip by myself along with the 3 little guys but decided not only did I want them to experience this but I was very interested to hear what Sen.Santorum had to say and boy did he deliver! Since we hold a Caucus in this state I was not 100% sure who to vote for even though he's probably been at the top of my list since I first started reading about the candidates.

The event took place at the Grand Overland Station in Topeka KS which is an old train station beautifully restored to its original glory. The experience of walking through its doors is treat enough alone!




Here's the gang waiting to go in for the Rally.

Lo happen to have his Class bear this weekend and had him come along for the event. Of course Princess Gigi brought her little friends as well.

I was surprised to see national coverage including CNN.

Sen.Santorum was accompanied by his oldest daughter. I have to say one of the things that touched my heart the most was the look of love and respect she had for him while he was making his speech. You don't see that often at that age. It was sweet to see that relationship :)
 Lo kept making me laugh during the speech because he kept asking me if that was Ronald Regan talking. I don't think he seems to grasp the concept that Ronald Regan is no longer with us but I guess he keeps looking for him everywhere he can...Aren't we all?lol
Of course no picture session is complete w/o princess Gigi giving one of her famous faces.

At the end we got to meet Sen. Santorum! What a treat! He was very nice to the kids and I.

I am so glad I made the effort to drive the kids and I and go through this experience. It felt nice to be part of the democratic process and to meet Sen.Santorum. I think of my own family in Cuba that doesn't have the luxury of a free election and I am thankful that we have the right to assemble together and hear the various candidates give their positions and information. This was a great experience and will be continued today when I head off to our Caucus to vote. Hopefully, many years from now my kids will look back at these pictures and remember at least something of this day,because I know I sure will! I wish Sen.Santorum luck and all the best during these primaries and thank him for having made this day a great one for us all.

No comments:

Take $5 off your first order with coupon REF10

Take $5 off your first order with coupon  REF10
"Never has the devil found such fertile territory upon which to work as in this era when his very existence is denied by so many" - St. Padre Pio